Search site

I want to know more about my options after Year 11

I want to find out about staying in full time education

What qualifications can I study if I stay in full time education?

You can study full time qualifications such as vocational BTECs, CACHE, OCR, NVQ, A levels and the International Baccalaureate. You can study different levels of qualification so that you find the level of learning to suit you.

How do I decide which qualification to study?

  • Subjects you enjoy and you are good at
  • Subjects you might need for your career ideas
  • Your learning style
  • Grades you expect to get in Year 11
  • Programme choices available

What do Levels 1, 2 and 3 mean?

The level of qualification will let you know how difficult it will be and the grades you need to study it. For example:

A levels are Level 3 qualifications
BTECs are available as Level 3, Level 2 and Level 1

Entry to Level 3 courses is normally 5 GCSEs at grade C/grade 4 or above including English Language
Entry to Level 2 courses is normally 4 GCSEs at grade D/grade 3

What are Vocational Courses such as BTEC?

Vocational courses are available at the College of Further Education at Level 1, 2 or 3. Vocational qualifications can range from general qualifications where you learn skills relevant to a variety of jobs, to specialist qualifications designed for a particular sector.They are available from several awarding bodies, such as BTEC, City and Guilds, Edexcel and OCR, and can be taken at many different sizes and levels.

Use the links on this page to find out more about the courses at the College of Further Education.

What are A levels?

A levels are Level 3 qualifications and you normally need 5 GCSEs at grade C /grade 4 or above including English Language  (you need grades A/B at GCSE for some A level subject entry).

A levels are studied and assessed in a similar way to GCSE's with examinations and coursework where appropriate. Students normally choose to study 3 or 4 main subjects over 2 years.

A levels can be studied at the Sixth Form Centre, Ladies College, Elizabeth College or Blanchelande College (Blanchelande Sixth Form from September 2020).

What is the IB (International Baccalaureate) qualification?

The IB is a full time Level 3 qualification where you study a range of subjects. There are 6 groups of subjects and you choose a subject from each group and you will study 3 of them at Higher Level and 3 of them at Standard Level. You normally need a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C / grade 4 or above including English Language and Maths (higher grades are needed to study some subjects in the IB).

Use the links on this page to find out more about A level and IB courses available.

How and When do I apply for courses?

You apply for courses at school and the deadline is usually middle of March in Year 11. There will also be presentations at school about full time learning post-16 and open days you can go on. Information will be given to you at school about these.

I want to find out about Apprenticeships

What is an Apprenticeship? Apprenticeship hair show

An Apprenticeship means you are working for a company and being trained alongside experienced staff to gain job-specific skills.

You are an employee so this means you get paid a wage which usually increases as you work your way through your apprenticeship.

What does the training involve?

Training involves spending time away from the workplace, either at the College of Further Education or through other organised training. You will work towards recognised qualifications for that industry and it will take you between 3 and 5 years to complete an apprenticeship (the time it takes you depends on which industry you choose).

How do I know which industry to choose?

You need to find out which industry you are interested in and which one will suit you with your skills and interests.

You can use the KUDOS programme to help you check your interests and ideas. Use the A-Z search in KUDOS. You will need to use your Log-in given to you by your Careers Teacher. KUDOS This link opens in a new browser window

If you are not sure of your Log-in, ask your Careers Teacher or contact us.

You may have tried out a trade on work experience or in the College of FE Links course which can help you work out which trade is more suited to you.

Find out which industries are in the apprenticeship scheme.

How do I find an Apprenticeship?

Once you know which industry you are aiming for, you need to find an employer who is willing to take you on as an apprentice.

You can check which employers are registered in the Apprenticeship Scheme by using the Apprenticeship lists in your school (ask your Careers Teacher) or by contacting the Apprenticeship Scheme Manager at the College of Further Education Tel: 737501 or

You need to contact the employers directly either to check if they are interested in taking on an apprentice. You may need to send them a copy of your CV and a letter explaining your interest in the trade you have chosen. It can take a while to find an apprenticeship as not many get advertised so keep trying, even if the first employer you try is not offering an apprenticeship.

I want to find out about getting a job

What jobs can school leavers do?

Although most Yr 11 students decide to continue with their education after leaving school, there are students who will be going out to work so it is helpful for you to know what sort of jobs you might be able to do as a Year 11 leaver.

Retail, Manufacturing, Horticulture, Catering, Construction are all areas of work that Year 11 school leavers have entered. Visit the Careers Show to find out more about these sectors.

What skills do employers look for?

Have a look at the pdf icon Top 5 Employability Skills [416kb] that employers ask for. These are the skills that employers want, no matter what job you do.

Employers may also ask for specific technical skills for a particular job so make sure you read a job vacancy carefully so that you know what an employer is looking for.

What is the minimum wage for young people?

Under Guernsey law workers have to be paid a minimum wage. There are different rates depending what age you are. Minimum Wage Information

What documents do I need to sort out before I start work?

Every person working in Guernsey, either for themselves or for an employer, must hold a Right to Work document. You will need to show your document to your employer and they will need to take a copy of it.

You will also need to give your employer your Social Insurance card number. Social Insurance cards are blue and most people already have a card but if you are new to the island or returning to the island, you will need to register with Social Security. Money is taken out of your wages for social insurance to cover you for specialist medical care, unemployment and sickness benefits, old age and pensions.

You will need an Income Tax code to give to your employer. You will pay tax (20p for every £1 you earn) and this helps the States of Guernsey pay for maintaining essential services such as re-building of schools, maintenance of roads, changing the airport runway, developing health services etc. There are allowances you can get which reduces the amount of tax you pay.

If you have just left school, there is a school leaver form for you to complete. Once you start paying tax, you will have to complete an Income Tax form each year to help work out how much tax you should be paying.

How do I apply for jobs?

The usual ways to apply for jobs include

  • application form
  • on-line application
  • letter and a CV
  • telephone or email

There may be vacancies advertised that you want to apply for or you may want to contact companies on the off chance they may have a vacancy. Have a look in our Job Vacancies section to find out more about vacancies and how to apply.

Getting a part time job whilst I am still at school

Some students are keen to find a part time job, usually on Saturdays. It can be difficult to find a part time job as some employers will only take 16 yr olds or older. You will still need to get the same documents as if you were starting a full time job so have a look in the 'What documents do I need' section on this page.

I want to find out more about going to university in the future

Going to university - finding out more

Even though you are in Year 10 or Year 11, you may already have an interest in finding out more about higher education for the future. We have provided answers to the following questions to help you find out more.

What is higher education?


How many Guernsey students are at university and what do they study?

There are about 800 Guernsey students studying at university. The top areas of study are:

Biological Sciences
Creative Arts and Design
Subjects related to Medicine
Maths/Computer Sciences

What is the cost of going to university for Guernsey students? 

The cost of going to university will depend on which course you choose.

Have a look at our quick guide to the costs of going to university pdf icon Guide to the cost of going to university [520kb]

Is it possible to study in Guernsey rather than go to university in the UK?

Yes, you can study a degree in Guernsey although we do not have a university here.

Open University
Open College of the Arts
Institute of Health

A Careers Adviser can help!

You might want to explore your ideas more with a Careers Adviser and speak to them about what university would be like. Contact a Careers Adviser

I am an Alderney student

Alderney students

As an Alderney student you face the same decisions as Guernsey students so you can use all the sections in this website to help you find out more.

However, there is extra information you will find helpful about accommodation in Guernsey whilst you study, working in Guernsey legislation and employment opportunities in Alderney. Use some of our guides below to help you find out about more:

pdf icon Information about options [444kb]

pdf icon Accommodation in Guernsey whilst you study [1Mb]

Information for Alderney residents wanting to live and work in Guernsey

pdf icon Guide to the cost of going to university [520kb]